Saturday, January 03, 2009

DW&F: Beds and Bogus Offers

Hello everyone!

Tonight, we're having friends over for game night, so I'm hoping to post this before they get here so I don't have to say, "Excuse me, but I need to go blog."

Daily Win and FAIL!

Win: A new king-size bed!

Today we bought a brand spanking new king-size Spring Air mattress and box-spring set. Supposedly, it will be here Tuesday, which means that I might actually wake up Wednesday morning without any back pain. Either that or I'll still wake up with back pain, and that means that we wasted a lot of money. I doubt the latter will happen, though, since I can't imagine a new bed being as bad as our current one with its Grand Canyon-sized depression in the middle. Regardless, since we'll be moving up from a queen-sized to a king-sized bed, it will be nice for both of us to have some room to stretch out since our cat currently insists on taking up half the bed on a regular basis. Actually, now that I think about it, a bigger bed probably just means she'll take up even more room. It's a good thing we don't have a dog! Still, a new bed means Win!

FAIL: Bogus Offers

Here's a credit card I received in the mail today:

If you look closely, it says I'm "pre-approved to apply." What is that supposed to mean? Do I have to be approved before I can even apply?

Seriously, I have a hard time believing that there is such a huge demand for the Citi Platinum Select MasterCard with its "attractive" 9.9% variable APR that it's considered some sort of convenient opportunity to just apply. I mean, basically they're saying that they're offering me the chance to pay 10% or so more each year for the things I already buy. Actually, that's not right. They're offering me the chance to apply for the opportunity to pay 10% or more each year for the things I already buy. Wow, what a deal, eh? I might as well just send them my full paycheck twice a month in the hopes that I might someday receive an offer to merely give them 10% annually as opposed to having to apply to give them 10% annually. One can only dream...

Seriously, I've more or less had it with credit card companies. Think about it this way: they make more money on interest payments when we can't pay our bills and our credit score gets worse. So, do you really think they want us to pay our bills on time? Of course not. But the paradox is that if people can't pay their bills at all, the credit card companies lose money, which is something they don't want. So they try to straddle the line between their customers paying their bills late and not paying at all. And in the end, it's a lot like being friends with a drug addict: sure he'll take you to a lot of fun parties, but he might steal your new LCD TV when you aren't paying attention. Or think of it this way: credit card companies are like loan sharks. They pay you now to screw you later.

God bless the USA!

However, we want to buy a house someday, so let me just say that if you're reading this and evaluating my credit, I love banks! You banky guys rock, and I hope to pay you three of four times the purchased value of my home over the course of 30 years. Viva capitalism!

But as far as credit card companies go, FAIL!

Well, I didn't get this posted before my guests showed up, but that doesn't matter because I'm now much wiser after getting humbled at both Cranium and Apples to Apples. I hope to pass that wisdom on to you, the viewer, shortly in the near future.

Here's a preview of the wisdom I learned tonight: don't lose. Also, don't try to speak Spanish to the lady working behind the counter at midnight at Burrito Boy. You'll only embarrass yourself, and she'll tell your dark-skinned friend that he needs to teach you Spanish.

Rob

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home