Sunday, January 13, 2008

Anti-Photogenic or Just a Blithering Idiot?

Hello everyone!

I've been thinking about how some people are photogenic, while others aren't. No one emphasizes the latter more than our current "esteemed" president, George W. Bush.

Simply put: I've seen an insane amount of photographs floating around out there in which he looks like a blithering idiot.

There have been a few theories put forth as to why this is:

#1. He's simply not photogenic. I'm sorry, people say this about themselves all the time, but this just isn't a good enough explanation. There may be some truth to the statement, but it doesn't explain why he's not photogenic. It's like saying, "The reason I'm broke is because I have no money." Next...

#2. It's not that he's not photogenic, it's just that since he's president, his picture is taken so many times that of course there are going to be some bad ones. Again, this explanation doesn't cut it. If that were the case, there should be scads of photographs of former presidents Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagan, Carter, etc. looking like idiots. But there aren't many. Believe me, I looked. Likewise, thanks to the paparazzi, there ought to be tons and tons of photos of celebrities looking like idiots. I'm not talking about celebrity mug shots, photos of intoxicated celebrities, worst dressed celebrities, or other pointless entertainment crap like this. I'm talking about photographs of famous people just going about their day, all the while looking like they're mentally retarded. Photos like this show up occasionally, but no one can even hold a candle to George W. Bush in terms of sheer numbers of photos. No one. Which brings us to:

#3. He looks like an idiot so often because he is, in fact, an idiot. Now, as anyone who knows me knows, I'm no fan of George Bush. Even so, my first reaction is to dismiss this theory. I mean, what does it say about us if the person we elect to represent us, the most powerful leader in the world, is dumber than dirt?

Then I think about the past seven years. I think of how much respect our country used to have in much (but admittedly not all) of the world, even though in most cases it arguably wasn't deserved. However, now we're one of the most, if not the most, hated nations in the world. And to those who don't care, well, I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have friends than enemies. For one, it's safer that way. So when I think of the way Bush and his cabinet have executed our national foreign policy, a number of adjectives immediately come to mind, adjectives such as stupid, arrogant, short-sighted, cruel, idiotic, stupid, unbelievable, illogical, stupid, selfish, disastrous, stupid, mean spirited, stupid, conceited, stupid, dumb, stupid, and really, really stupid.

When I think about it, these adjectives can also be used to describe his domestic policy, or any other part of his presidency for that matter.

Then I inevitably think that maybe he's not stupid, but he just has really bad advisers. Maybe there have been a number of things that have happened that even the smartest people could not have foreseen, and maybe I'm being too tough on the guy. And then I think about how his policies were actually good for some people. Of course I'm talking about the ultra-wealthy, as well as people who work for oil companies, Halliburton, and the military-industrial complex. This makes me think that maybe he's not such an idiot after all, and maybe we're just the idiots for electing him in the first place and being surprised that the price of gasoline has tripled under a Texas oil millionaire wannabe president.

But then I remember all the idiotic things that George Bush has ever said. And then it all becomes crystal clear.

I don't claim to be a psychologist, a psychiatrist, or even a psychic. All I know is that there seems to be a mountain of evidence that, in a nation full of dumb people, one of the dumbest of them all is running the show.

And that scares the hell out of me.

I know some of the millions five or six (and growing!) of my readers might take offense to this. But as they say, the proof is in the coagulated dessert concoction.

I've taken actual photographs of our "esteemed" president (I didn't "take" the photos myself, I just stole them from other sites) and paired them with actual quotes of his. I realize that in all likelihood, each quote was uttered at a different time and in a different context than each accompanying photo. But as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't mean they're unrelated! Here they are, and keep in mind, these are actual quotes that I never bothered to verify with actual photographs that someone else may or may not have photoshopped, but probably didn't:

"You know, when you give a man more money in his pocket -- in this case, a woman more money in her pocket to expand a business, it -- they build new buildings. And when somebody builds a new building somebody has got to come and build the building. And when the building expanded it prevented additional opportunities for people to work." --George W. Bush, Lancaster, Pa., Oct. 3, 2007

"I think -- tide turning -- see, as I remember -- I was raised in the desert, but tides kind of -- it's easy to see a tide turn -- did I say those words?" --George W. Bush, asked if the tide was turning in Iraq, Washington, D.C., June 14, 2006

"I think younger workers -- first of all, younger workers have been promised benefits the government -- promises that have been promised, benefits that we can't keep. That's just the way it is." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 4, 2005

"I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 25, 2004

"As you can possibly see, I have an injury myself -- not here at the hospital, but in combat with a cedar. I eventually won. The cedar gave me a little scratch. As a matter of fact, the Colonel asked if I needed first aid when she first saw me. I was able to avoid any major surgical operations here, but thanks for your compassion, Colonel." --George W. Bush, after visiting with wounded veterans from the Amputee Care Center of Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas, Jan. 1, 2006

"I don't particularly like it when people put words in my mouth, either, by the way, unless I say it." --George W. Bush, Crawford, Texas, Nov. 10, 2007

"Make no mistake about it, I understand how tough it is, sir. I talk to families who die." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Dec. 7, 2006

"Because the -- all which is on the table begins to address the big cost drivers. For example, how benefits are calculate, for example, is on the table; whether or not benefits rise based upon wage increases or price increases. There's a series of parts of the formula that are being considered. And when you couple that, those different cost drivers, affecting those -- changing those with personal accounts, the idea is to get what has been promised more likely to be -- or closer delivered to what has been promised. Does that make any sense to you? It's kind of muddled. Look, there's a series of things that cause the -- like, for example, benefits are calculated based upon the increase of wages, as opposed to the increase of prices. Some have suggested that we calculate -- the benefits will rise based upon inflation, as opposed to wage increases. There is a reform that would help solve the red if that were put into effect. In other words, how fast benefits grow, how fast the promised benefits grow, if those -- if that growth is affected, it will help on the red." --George W. Bush, explaining his plan to save Social Security, Tampa, Fla., Feb. 4, 2005

"I have a record in office, as well. And all Americans have seen that record. September the 4th, 2001, I stood in the ruins of the Twin Towers. It's a day I will never forget." --George W. Bush, Marlton, New Jersey, Oct. 18, 2004

"We stand for things." --George W. Bush, Davenport, Iowa, Aug. 5, 2004

"Who could have possibly envisioned an erection -- an election in Iraq at this point in history?" --George W. Bush, at the white House, Washington, D.C., Jan. 10, 2005

"As yesterday's positive report card shows, childrens do learn when standards are high and results are measured." --George W. Bush, on the No Child Left Behind Act, Washington, D.C., Sept. 26, 2007

"There are jobs Americans aren't doing. ... If you've got a chicken factory, a chicken-plucking factory, or whatever you call them, you know what I'm talking about." --George W. Bush. Tipp City, Ohio, April 19, 2007

"I want to thank my friend, Senator Bill Frist, for joining us today. You're doing a heck of a job. You cut your teeth here, right? That's where you started practicing? That's good. He married a Texas girl, I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me." --George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

"We look forward to hearing your vision, so we can more better do our job. That's what I'm telling you." --George W. Bush, Gulfport, Miss., Sept. 20, 2005

"I got a lot of Ph.D.-types and smart people around me who come into the Oval Office and say, 'Mr. President, here's what's on my mind.' And I listen carefully to their advice. But having gathered the device, I decide, you know, I say, 'This is what we're going to do.'" --George W. Bush, Lancaster, Pa., Oct. 3, 2007

I rest my case.

Rob

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home