Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bigots!

Hello everyone!

I realize I haven't posted in a while, but I'm up to my neck in homework this term. I have 50+pages to write in the next 18 days, plus a bunch of reading, so I doubt I'll post any blogs during for a while unless it's one about how miserable I am. Then I'll have my one last final exam on December 8, and then I'll be finished with being an undergraduate college student--unless I fail, but that goes without saying. After that, I'll have to go shopping for a frame to put my fancy diploma in. Hopefully I'll find a job, otherwise I'll be one of those people at the freeway off-ramp holding a sign that says, "Will blog for a student loan payment!"

So what has happened since my last post? Oh yeah, there was an election two weeks ago. Here's the crazy thing: every person and measure I voted for ended up winning! Of course, that automatically made me reconsider everything I voted for. My votes never win! Was I somehow hoodwinked this time? Were things so bad that mediocrity looked appealing this time around? Time will tell.

Nevertheless, I'm cautiously optimistic. Of course, with Joe Lieberman keeping his post as Senate Homeland Security Committee chair, despite not investigating any of the numerous threats to homeland security during the past two years, such as illegal wiretapping, torture, firing judges for political reasons, etc., etc., etc., and with Hillary Clinton being named as a possible Secretary of State, well...let's just say that this isn't the change I hoped for.

Although, I do have to admit that on election night Cathy and I went to the Lane County Fairgrounds to watch the results come in, and the last time I saw so many watery eyes was at a funeral. During Obama's speech--which was broadcast on a large-screen projection TV--I stood next to a seventy-something-year-old man who was bawling his eyes out like nothing I've ever seen before. That's when I realized the historical significance of what was happening both on the screen and around me. It's one moment I'll never forget. So there!

Of course, not all went well. The bigots won in California. They also won in Florida and Arizona (even though they lost in Arizona in 2006).

But the worst was what happened in Arkansas. The bigots not only won't let same-sex couples marry, but they won't let same-sex couples adopt or take care of foster children. Not only that, opposite-sex couples who are not married can't adopt, and those non-married couples--gay or otherwise--who have adopted or are taking care of foster kids might lose their kids. So these bigots who voted for this pile of crap measure better get themselves down to the local adoption board and adopt some kids pronto, otherwise they'll prove themselves to be a bunch of hypocritical bigots.

And for those of you who think the word "bigot" is too harsh, if you can think of a better word, please let me know. I'm sorry, but I just can't think of any reason to deny gays rights other than bigotry. If you can think of one, please let me know in the comments. I'm not holding my breath.

Well, anyway, I've wasted valuable time blathering on about stuff my readers know fully well about at this point. But don't worry--I'll be back once finals are done, and with more fart jokes than you can shake a can of baked beans at! That's the kind of change you can believe in!

Rob

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home