Sunday, June 22, 2008

George Carlin 1937-2008

Hello everyone.

Well, it's a sad day at Rob Dow's World. George Carlin--comedian, actor, activist, philosopher, movie guitarist, 9/11 conspiracy buff (sorta), and all around great guy--is dead. And that sucks.

I didn't know the guy. I've seen several of his HBO specials, have listened to and/or own a few of his albums, have read and/or own some of his books, and once saw him live in Spokane, WA. But I can't honestly say that I was close to him as a person.

Still, I can't help but feel a bit of a loss. To me his act represented one of my first forays into a sort of thought process that wasn't approved by the powers that be. Before seeing a Carlin video, my outlook on the world was based on television, school, and my friends. And those three categories were virtually the same. But then I watched a Carlin special, and what he was saying was completely different than any perspective I had been exposed to--but it made total sense to me. I was hooked.

After that, he became a sort of grandfather of free thinking in my world, and I seriously expected his angry, crotchety old ass to be out there touring for at least another 20 years or so. He just seemed like one of those guys who was too stubborn to go away.

I could go on and on about my history with Carlin, but really, this shouldn't be about me. Let's see what the man of the hour has to say. First, let's start with a topic that isn't terribly controversial--abortion:



Now let's see what he has to say about voting:



Here he talks about the American Dream:



Here he is on Olbermann trying to restrain himself from making fun of Olbermann (hint: he doesn't last five seconds before making fun of Olbermann):



"This country is finished."

Amen.

Rob

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home