Friday, January 12, 2007

Yeah, What He Said!

Helloooo!

I came across a quote from the late Carl Sagen and decided to post it here. During a lecture he was giving, he showed a photograph of Earth taken from four million miles away by Voyager 1. In the picture, Earth was a tiny indistinguishable speck of light in the cosmos. Here's the quote:

"We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."

There ya go. Next time, we'll return to hilarity and hijinks, I promise.

Rob

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can see my house from here...

11:34 AM, January 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello anon.

Wow, you mean like, the Earth is our home, right? Like, it's the only home we'll ever have, right, man? So we better, like, take care of our home and stuff, right? That's like totally tripping me out, man.

Not.

Put down the bong, take a shower, and get a job, hippie! Try again when you've decided to start acting like an American, okay? The only home I see in the picture is the good ol' US of A! And don't you forget it!

-Eddie Colbert (Steven's cousin)

8:03 PM, January 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Edward

Actually, I mean I can literally see my house in that picture. Its on the left. The one with the blue roof.
Maybe if you put down your rifle, quit your job, and picked up a bong, you wouldn't need basic concepts like colors explained to you

12:53 PM, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To anon,

I think you need a "basic concept" explained to you.

Maybe you see the world in "color", but I am color blind. What I mean is, when it comes to people, I don't see in terms of black and white-- I only see America lovers and America haters.

You sir are an America hater.

-Eddie Colbert (Steven's cousin)

PS: You'd have to pry my rifle out of my cold, dead hands!

11:08 PM, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To anon,

I think you need a "basic concept" explained to you.

Maybe you see the world in "color", but I am color blind. What I mean is, when it comes to people, I don't see in terms of black and white-- I only see America lovers and America haters.

You sir are an America hater.

-Eddie Colbert (Steven's cousin)

PS: You'd have to pry my rifle out of my cold, dead hands!

11:08 PM, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you need the basic concept of posting explained to you. What you typed wasn't worth posting once, let alone twice.


P.S. That is probably what will happen, since you are statistically more likely to shoot yourself then somebody else in "self-defense"

2:29 PM, January 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear anon,

The reason I posted twice was because I knew you'd be high on the reefer and likely to miss one of the postings. Apparently you saw them both. Congratulations, you can count to two.

It's funny how you liberals like to talk about your freedom to smoke the ganja and marry other men, but seem to have a problem with my freedom to carry fully automatic assault rifles in my Lincoln SUV in case of a bear attack, or my freedom to dump a few dozen gallons of old paint thinner down my drain. Last time I checked, it was a "public" sever system. But you hate freedom, don't you?

Let me tell you something, The Constitution is on my side, not yours. And I say my Constitution trumps your silly little UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Besides, we got the guns. But I'm sure you're hard at work trying to change that.

I'm telling you the way it is, and I'm even typing slowly so your drug-addled liberal brain can keep up. If you don't like it, go move to France with all the other gay, wine drinking, freedom hating, therapist seeing, recycling, gutless car driving, homosexual, abortion having, support group joining, book reading, dope smoking, queer, peace loving, America hating, vegetable eating, gay, yoga doing, patchouli wearing, PBS watching, gay, Nader voting for, stealing jobs from Americans and giving free health care to illegal aliens, poem writing, gay, tree hugging, gay, liberal Jew-run media watching, gay, hippie, gay, dirty, smelly French people.

And leave America to the real Americans. You know, the ones who ran the Indians out of here.

-Eddie Colbert (Steven's cousin)

6:51 PM, January 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw your cousin hugging a bear on his TV show....

4:10 PM, January 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't try to change the subject, commie.


-Eddie Colbert (Steven's cousin)

7:36 PM, January 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home